Friday, February 02, 2007

McDougall and Fuhrman

HI all,

I know it has been awhile but I have been so confused for the past month and a half. I had been doing ETL and I was failing miserably and switched to the all American SAD diet for Christmas and the holidays. I ate Alfredo sauces, white pasta, cake, pudding, beer, wine, scotch, Chinese food, cheeses, no meat but plenty of the dairy shit. Then I began to realize I was falling off the wagon. I tried to go back to 100% ETL but failed and ended up hating Dr. Fuhrman for it. So as a result I switched to McDougall plan, which is wonderful and easier than ETL. I am doing great on it and it fits perfectly into my lifestyle. My cravings have even subsided. SO I will continue with McDougall program, but Dr. Fuhrman also has some wonderful, smart points as well that I will add into in order to moderate my McDougall plan. Flax, raw nuts, seeds, and tons of greens. Oh and I never stopped the blended salads, I love those.

I am basically trying to end my addictions to food, I want to be healthy and energetic on most days and I want to look good as I age. That being said I am going to use Dr. McDougall's program as a main gauge or outline for my meal plans with Dr. Fuhrman's extra points as modifications to my main eating plan. They are both such great plans for different reasons. I like that Dr. Fuhrman pushed more veggies on me otherwise I may be tempted to skimp on them. Dr. McDougall wants us to eat grains as the main part of the meal which is great for me because it satisfies my appetite. Dr. Fuhrman and Dr. McDougall do see eye to eye on many points, it seems they articulate the points differently. One major difference is that Dr. McDougall firmly believes that white potatoes and nutritious whereas Fuhrman thinks they are a waste of calories. I love potatoes and I think they are very nutritious, I am glad to base my meals around them, basing my meals around them also helps me to get all of my veggies in. I have a very hard time eating veggies plain, I need the starch under them.

So I have been sick for the past 3 days and I am dying to go grocery shopping at Wild Oats or Whole Foods and restock my pantry. I am so low on everything I need to put a good healthy meal together. I think I will do this today after work. Fresh kale, collards, spinach, romaine, tomatoes, avocado etc etc etc etc etc..............................................................

No comments: