Thursday, November 09, 2006

Fennel Stir Fry

Okay so I have never used fennel before and I have had a fennel bulb in my fridge for the past few weeks, finally last night I decided to use it. I got the idea from a recipe on recipezaar, though I changed this one around a lot.

it is as follows

Fennel Noodle Bowl

2 packs of ramen noodles cooked and drained
2 cm of fresh ginger, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, sliced or diced whichever you prefer
1 tablespoon of kitchen bouquet
2 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp of oil, I used safflower, I just recently found out canola is bad! (I never knew this)
1 tbsp sesame oil
sliced beef style seitan
1 bulb of fennel sliced into sticks
1 carrot sliced into sticks
3 small radish sliced into circles
1 package of beef broth or 1 tbsp of beef broth powder (vegetarian of course)

Directions: Add oil to pan along with sliced onion, minced garlic, minced ginger, carrots saute until softened a bit. Add fennel saute for a few minutes. Add water and beef broth powder bring to a boil and let simmer for about 30 mins (maybe even add some sake or mirin), until veggies are soft. While simmering add tamari, kitchen bouquet and seitan slices. Meanwhile prepare noodles (I used two packs of ramen noodles) and drain. Simple throw the sesame oil in the simmering broth and stir then serve this on top of noodles. You could sprinkle some sesame seeds on top if you like. I had this last night and it was so delicious I could not contain myself.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Yum - this sounds like a great recipe. I haven't used fennel too much in the past, so this would be a good way to use it.

-Crystal