Thursday, November 30, 2006

"Beef" Stew


This was really good, it was comfort food that I really needed after eating so many raw veggies and smoothies this week. Here is the recipe:


TVP Chunks 1 cup

2 potatoes

1 medium onion

4 carrots

1 garlic clove

1 bag frozen green beans

3 veggie bouillon cubes

vegetarian Worcestershire sauce 1 tbsp

1 tbsp kitchen bouquet

pepper

2 tomatoes

pinch of allspice

1 tsp sugar

2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in water

2 bay leaves

salt optional ( I did not add it, there was enough I am sure in the bouillon)


first reconstitute the TVP chunks by boiling them in water then letting them simmer for 10 minutes. After this squeeze out excess water with paper towels. Marinate TVP in a mixture of veggie broth thyme, garlic powder, marjoram, kitchen bouquet, pepper, tomato paste. Let sit for one hour.

Chop onion, carrots, garlic, potatoes and saute in large soup pan for about 10-15 minutes. I saute the veggies in a bit of veggie broth instead of using oil, but that is your call. Add six cups of water and bring to a boil. Add green beans and veggie broth cubes. Set to a quick simmer and add tomatoes (diced), allspice, sugar, bay leaves, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, kitchen bouquet. Let simmer until veggies are soft. Add TVP and heat through. Add cornstarch mixture and stir until thick. Serve with more pepper. This was very delicious and the TVP was so much like meat, the texture was very similar to the beef I used to eat in beef stew, I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey...i noticed you use Kitchen Bouquet! I use that stuff too. I heard about it through the Simply Heavenly cookbook, which went on and on about how it is the best faux beef flavouring out there. I had never heard of it, but my mother managed to hunt me down a bottle and now I use it all the time. Good stuff!

Nikk said...

Looks good! I can't find TVP chunks around here...perhaps I haven't looked hard enough!

urban vegan said...

This is perfect for this chily weather.